Select Menu

Ad

Slider

Pages

Pages

Driven

Car Shows

Racing

Random

Wallpapers

First Impressions

Videos

» » Driven: 1998 Mercedes-Benz A-class
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post


- "Once you get into a Mercedes all other cars will seem inferior." - my driving instructor said when I first sat in the drivers seat of his Mercedes A-class. This was the first car I had to drive for more than a few kilometers. This was the place I would spend my next month or so learning to drive. And what an awful place it was . This particular car had a lot of imperfections and flaws.
The genius idea to prepare the A-class for the future means of propulsion has made sitting in the car comparable to sitting on the floor at an Arabian dinner.
Handling? I don`t think so. The Mercedes with front wheel drive is as stable through corners as the Titanic through icebergs and is equally reliable.
The gearchange is similar in nature to blind dates, you never now with what girl you will end up, and in the case of the A-class, what gear.
The gas pedal has about 5 positions you can choose from.
The ABS and the ESP didn't work.
The indicators switch is operated with the same ease as you would operate a sledgehammer.
The breaks start working after 3/4 pressed pedal and feel like Fred Flintstone is dragging his feet on the ground .
The windshield wipers clean as much as an ordinary gipsy streetcleaner.
After turning to full lock the servomechanism decides that it doesn`t want to be a servomechanism and just disappears.
These are only a small portion of the flaws the car i drove had. I won`t even mention the ride quality, the practicality or the price of the car.

P.S. I`m waiting for an invite from my country`s Mercedes dealer "Балкан стар" to test drive the new S65 AMG to change my opinion for Mercedes


About 1

I am a Journalism and Media student at Coventry University hoping to pursue a career in Automotive Journalism.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments

Leave a Reply